Antique Firearms, Swords, and Militaria
Inventory ID: 7249
An historic 18th century Blunderbuss owned by the Laird of Leith Hall, Scotland, circa 1760-1780
Made by John King of London circa 1760-1780, this historic piece is inscribed on the escutcheon plate "Leith of Leith Hall." Leith Hall in Aberdeenshire, Scotland, was built in 1650 and has remained in the family ever since. The Lairds of Leith Hall have had a tradition since the 17th century of military service and the markings on this piece would strongly suggest that it was owned and used by the Laird himself in the second half of the 18th century. The gun itself measures 31" long and has a wonderful three-stage brass barrell going from octagonal to round to cannon barrel. The diameter of the muzzle measures 1 1/4". The stock is of finely figured walnut. Behind the barrel tang is the traditional scallop form design. The fancy brass sideplate is both pierced and engraved. The triggerguard has an engraved 'Tudor Rose' and ends with an acorn finial. One very special feature is the original "BALEEN" ramrod with detachable and reversible screw and cleaning device. Overall, quite a wonderful and historic piece.
Return to Previous Page